Kernel Boot Process
This chapter describes the linux kernel boot process. Here you will see a series of posts which describes the full cycle of the kernel loading process:
- From the bootloader to kernel - describes all stages from turning on the computer to running the first instruction of the kernel.
- First steps in the kernel setup code - describes first steps in the kernel setup code. You will see heap initialization, query of different parameters like EDD, IST and etc...
- Video mode initialization and transition to protected mode - describes video mode initialization in the kernel setup code and transition to protected mode.
- Transition to 64-bit mode - describes preparation for transition into 64-bit mode and details of transition.
- Kernel Decompression - describes preparation before kernel decompression and details of direct decompression.
- Kernel random address randomization - describes randomization of the Linux kernel load address.
This chapter coincides with with
Linux kernel v4.16.